This beautifully illustrated, information-packed book, written by an energy expert, allows you to look under the hood of the most modern diesel-electric locomotives through an energy and environment lens. Here you can learn about:
• How every energy-related component of a contemporary diesel-electric locomotive works, including the diesel engine, alternator, rectifiers, inverters, traction motors, braking systems, auxiliaries, head-end power systems, and aerodynamics..
• Locomotive fuel economy technologies and the energy efficiency performance measures kept confidential by the railroad industry.
• Locomotive Tier 4 emissions regulations, compliance technologies, and their impact on fuel economy.
• Meeting railroad environmental challenges with alternative fuels and locomotive motive power options.
Walter Simpson, an energy professional who led a nationally recognized campus energy conservation program credited with over $100 million in savings, has had a lifelong interest in railroads. With the assistance of many locomotive and other technical experts, he has applied his energy expertise to diesel-electric locomotives — producing this ground-breaking, comprehensive volume.
Praise for Diesel-Electric Locomotives: How They Work, Use Energy, and Can Become More Efficient and Environmentally Sustainable
“Here at last is a publication that addresses the technical side of diesel electric locomotives yet one that explains the many details of these marvelous electro-mechanical machines in language a lay person can understand. And all this written from the unique perspective of energy conservation, one of the true hall marks of North American railroading.”
–Don Graab, Retired Vice President-Mechanical, Norfolk Southern
"Walter Simpson’s Diesel-Electric Locomotives should prove interesting and educational to a wide audience – from rail buffs wanting to know more about the inner workings of their passion to anyone working on transportation policy. Professional railroaders will benefit from this well-researched nuts-and-bolts book."
– Dave Cook, Rail Propulsion Systems
"I look forward to using Walter Simpson’s new book, Diesel-Electric Locomotives, as a text for our Railroad Mechanical Practicum course. The book is a good fit because, like Walter, many engineering students today are not only interested in how diesel-electric locomotives work but also are extremely passionate about energy and energy conservation."
– Bryan Schlake, Instructor, Rail Transportation Engineering, Penn State — Altoona
"Walter Simpson has written a well-researched, beautifully illustrated book on diesel-electric locomotives removes the veil on the secret world of locomotive fuel economy and lays out strategies for further reducing fuel use in these already relatively efficient machines."
– Ashok Gupta, Senior Energy Economist, Natural Resources Defense Council
Order your copy today!
and order Diesel-Electric Locmotives - How They Work, Use Energy, and Can Become More Efficient and Enviornmentally Sustainable.
Only $45.00 - Regular price $45.00
Hurry! Don't hesitate to add this useful book to your library.
Diesel-Electric Locmotives - How They Work, Use Energy, and Can Become More Efficient and Enviornmentally Sustainableis presented in an easy-to-understand format with full color pictures and graphs. Softcover, 11”x8.5”, 220 pages. Published in 2018. Include $10.78 for S&H in the US. for single copy - contact us for multiple copies and for S&H outside US.
Copyright 2018 Simmons-Boardman Books, a division of the
Simmons -Boardman Publishing Corporation - publisher of Railway Age and Railway Track and Structures.
Orders may be mailed to:
1809 Capitol Avenue
Omaha, NE 68102
Order by phone: 1-800-228-9670
Or order from our website: